Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Julia Child Chicken Ragout with onions






I found a new idol. Well, she's not really new but I idolize her now. Now I believe that her recipe is worth to cook and if we follow the recipe, It can't go wrong.

This dish will taste much better using chicken thigh but I only have chicken breast in my fridge. Not bad but I strongly feel that using thigh is better. Next time thigh it will be. I also didn't use red wine but I used Rose wine instead because that's the only one I have in my pantry. I am a firm believer in using up what's available.

The taste is wonderful and hubby and I had it at 1:30 am. Nocturnal chef living up to her name.


Ingredients

    • 2 -3 lbs chicken parts ( I prefer thighs)
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    • 3 cups sliced onions
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 teaspoon thyme
    • 1/3 cup canned tomato puree or 1/3 cup tomato sauce ( I used can plum tomatoes)
    • 3 cups chianti wine or dry red wine ( I used Rose Wine)
    • 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
    • kosher salt
    • black pepper

    for thickening of sauce

    • 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
    • 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon wine

Directions:



  • 1 Brown chicken in large skillet on both sides in butter and oil.



  • 2 Remove chicken from pan and set aside, leaving the liquid in the pan.



  • 3 Add onions to the pan and saute till tender on moderate heat.



  • 4 Drain liquid over sieve into small bowl.



  • 5 Remove any unwanted fat.



  • 6 Set liquid and onions aside in different bowl.



  • 7 Season the chicken parts with salt/pepper and return to pan.



  • 8 Add tomato sauce, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme.



  • 9 Add enough wine and chicken stock to cover chicken parts.



  • 10 Simmer for at least 20 minutes uncovered.



  • 11 Remove chicken and place on platter.



  • 12 Pour juices and onions into saucepan and adjust seasonings.



  • 13 You may add more garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.



  • 14 In small bowl whisk together flour and butter (or wine).



  • 15 Add to the sauce and simmer until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.



  • 16 You may need to double the thickening agents if you have lots of juice.



  • 17 Pour sauce over chicken on platter and garnish with parsley.



  • 18 Serve with rice and crusty bread.




  • Ahead-of-time note: If you are not serving shortly, set aside uncovered. Or, for later serving, refrigerate uncovered. Cover when chilled.
    Serving: Before serving, reheat, basting the chicken with the sauce; simmer a few minutes to rewarm nicely but not to overcook. 

      No comments: