Saturday, February 16, 2013

Crema Catalana

During my recent trip to Barcelona, a trip to Monseratt  introduced me to "Creme Catalana" I fell in love and was hunting for it every where I go in Barcelona. The french might hate me for this but hands down it beats Creme Brulee. (My opinion)

When I came back to Malaysia, Instead of oogling at all my recent purchases, I googled "Creme Catalana" and OMG, these yummies are so easy to make.

Its meant to be runnier then the Creme Brulee. How it just melts in your mouth with the caramelized sugar top. This will be one of my favorite dessert of all time. Sinful yet so devine.

Recipe:

1/2 cup castor sugar for the creme
4 egg yolks
1 stick of cinnamon
1 TBS of corn starch
2 Cups of Milk
grated rind of a lemon
1/2TS of Vanilla essence (Not in the Recipe)
A pot
4 Small Ramekin

1/4 cup of castor sugar (For the topping)

Method:

1. Combine the egg yolks and the 1/2 cup sugar and beat until the colour turns light yellow. ( I Just used a hand whisker)

2. Add the grated lemon rind, Cinnamon stick and the vanilla essence

3. Whisk Milk little by little.

4. Add the cornstarch and whisk.

5. Over Medium fire, heat the mixture constantly. Just until thickened. Remove from pot immediately.

Tips:
As soon as the mixture thickens, you will feel resistance while stirring, Remove the pot from the fire or your mixture will curdle. The texture of the crema should be smooth and creamy.

6. Remove the cinnamon stick and pour your creme into the ramekin.

7. Cool it over your counter for at least 20 minutes

8. Refrigerate for at least 3 Hours ( You can even make it the day before)

9. Before serving, sprinkle the rest of the sugar on top.

10. Oven toast them for a few minutes to caramelize the sugar on top. ( You can use a blow torch or a broiler to caramelize your sugar.

11. Serve Immediately.

No comments: